Summer vacation is winding down and your next (or first!) semester of college is on the horizon. Whether you’ll be in a dorm or renting an apartment, one thing’s for sure: you’ll be needing a few pieces of furniture to make the space your own.
The challenge comes in finding affordable furniture that’s comfortable and space-conscious—not to mention durable enough to survive your roommates. That’s where we come in. Let’s take a look at some of our best dorm furniture ideas.
#1: A Dual-Purpose Bed
In a small place like a dorm room or a shared apartment, floor space is everything. When shopping for furniture that will fit your smaller space, look for items that serve a dual purpose. This is an especially good idea when it comes to choosing your bed, as it will likely be the biggest piece of furniture in your room. These are just a few ideas:
- Daybed: One great option is a daybed. From futons to pull-out trundle beds and sleeper sofas, daybeds have the look of a sofa with the added functionality of a bed. Use it during the day to lounge, and simply fold it down when you’re ready to sleep. This is the ultimate way to save floor space in your apartment.
- Storage Bed: Finding ways to store all your clothes and belongings in a small dorm or apartment room can be difficult. That’s why it’s a smart idea to choose a bed that also functions as a dresser—that’s where a storage bed comes in. With built-in storage under the bed frame, platform beds are super practical for your college living needs. Another alternative is adding pull-out drawers under a traditional bed frame.
- Loft Bed: Another space-saver that’s perfect for a dorm is the loft bed. A loft bed features a built-in desk that doesn’t take up extra floor space, giving you a convenient spot to study.
#2: Stylish Seating
A chair is another essential piece of furniture for college living. Whether you need a place to sit at your desk and do homework or a comfy spot to relax after a long day of classes, a stylish arm chair is the perfect solution. When you’re looking for comfort, affordability and a space-conscious size, look no further than these ideas:
- Bold Accent Chair: A boldly patterned or brightly colored accent chair adds a perfect touch of personality to your space. Plus, an armless option doesn’t take up too much space, and can also function as a desk chair.
- Swivel Chair: A low swivel chair is a great place to sit down and relax, whether you like to play video games, read a good book or just hang out with your roommates.
- Office Chair: An office chair delivers practicality, but that doesn’t mean you have to skimp on style. Express yourself with a chic desk chair upholstered in faux fur, or go classic with a durable faux leather office chair.
#3: A Space-Conscious Desk
You may not have a lot of space to work with in your dorm or apartment, but chances are you still need a workspace for studying, doing homework and more. That means a functional desk or small table is a must. Space-conscious laptop desks are a great option, along with modern desks that have a slim profile. If you’re living in a shared apartment, the dining room table can also be used as a desk when needed.
With these college apartment furniture ideas, your space is sure to be just as stylish as it is functional.