In many ways, a dining room table is the heart of a home. Friends and family gather around it to celebrate holidays or just commune over a meal. That’s why a dining room table set is an important purchase, but with so many different shapes, sizes, and styles on the market, it can be a bit overwhelming to choose the right one. Here are 7 things to consider when buying a new dining room set:
- Table shape – To determine the best shape for your space, consider the shape and size of the dining room.Round and oval tables tend to be better for smaller spaces, simply because there are no sharp corners to contend with. Even better, a round table with a pedestal base offers more leg room. Rectangular tables are more traditional and fit well into a long narrow room. Square tables are also good in long, narrow rooms, but if the square table is too large, dining companions can feel far away.
- Table height – Dining room tables come in different heights: standard (30″), counter (36″) and pub (36-42″). Consider the height of the people using the dining room table. Standard is better for children, while a counter height dinette might be more comfortable for adults. Pub height offers a more casual feel but might be difficult for smaller people to get in and out of.
- Material – There are many directions you can go with a dining room set: traditional dark wood, a weathered rustic look, or glass and metal for a more contemporary design. If your dining room is a contained space, you can go any direction. However, a dining room table that sits in an open space should match the style of its surroundings.
- Seating numbers – How many people do you typically have around your dining room table? A 7 piece dining set is typical: 6 chairs, plus a table. If you have a small household but frequently entertain, an extendable dining table offers flexibility while saving space.
- Seating style – Do you prefer the clean lines of wooden dining chairs? Or do you like the look of a plush upholstered dining room chair at the head of the table? Many dining room sets now offer bench seating, which is a good way to save on space. You can typically seat more people on a bench, as well, particularly children.
- Room size – You want a table big enough for your guests, but you should also consider how easy it is for diners to maneuver around the space. A clearance of 42-48″ between the table and walls (or buffet, china cabinet, or other furniture) is ideal.
- Complementary furniture – Another thing to consider when choosing a dining room set is the other furniture in the room. Do you have a china cabinet or buffet? Your dining room table should complement that furniture in style and dimensions. Before you buy a dining room set, use tape or a bed sheet to give yourself an idea of the layout of a dining room with all of its contents. You can use this to ensure there is adequate space to move around the dining room table and any additional dining room furniture you may have.
At The RoomPlace, we know that choosing the right dining room set can be overwhelming. With so many shapes, styles, heights, and seating options to choose from, it is still difficult even when you have narrowed down your requirements. Browse our complete collection online at www.TheRoomPlace.com or come visit one of our Indianapolis furniture stores, where we set up complete dining rooms, so you can see for yourself how a dining room set will look in a space. You can also follow us on Instagram and Facebook for design inspiration and deals on dining room sets. You can Get It All at The RoomPlace: a stylish, durable dining room set at an affordable price.