New Year, new priorities! As we bid farewell to 2014, it’s time to focus on New Year’s Resolutions that will help us live a simpler, stress-free 2015. We believe that the best place to start is—you guessed it—home sweet home.
Inspired by Organized Homes’ 2015 New Year Cleaning Challenge, we decided to compile our favorite new year cleaning tips for your space. Let’s dive right in:
- Give shoes a home with a shoe rack. If they can’t fit on your rack, they don’t belong in your entryway.
- Ditto for coats and jackets. Install a few hooks to house them and store the rest in your closet.
- Avoid placing chairs or tables in the space. They tend to accumulate clutter.
- Become best friends with your vacuum and dust your space weekly.
- If possible, wash shams and furniture covers at least once a season. Wipe any non-removable upholstery with a gentle cleaning cloth.
- Clean your windows! Spotless panes make all the difference in the world.
- Clean your counter tops before bed each evening.
- Regularly wipe down all of your kitchen appliances.
- Don’t forget about your fridge! Regularly scan the space for expired condiments or forgotten leftovers. Periodically remove all the contents to wipe down the shelving.
- Scrub the sink, toilet, and shower with disinfectant cleansers.
- Make your reflection shine and thoroughly clean your mirror.
- Mop or sweep the floor and cleaning tools to rid them of dust bunnies, hair, and any other debris.
- Don’t let under the bed become a clutter zone. If possible, keep it entirely clear.
- Clean out your closet to free up space.
- Wash your sheets weekly in warm water.
If you need a hand getting your goals into gear, use Organized Homes’ house cleaning checklist to get started. As our favorite house cleaning blog, this site is chock-full of tips and tricks to make 2015 your most organized year yet. After the chaos clears, The RoomPlace is available to offer you furniture and tools to help with your clutter-free goals!