Remember last week when we discussed the importance of taking steps to secure your home while you’re away on vacation? Today we’d like to welcome you back to Illinois and Indiana by reminding you that at the turn of the season, your house could be in danger from more than just potential criminals.
If we seem a little sinister lately, we’re sorry! The team at The RoomPlace just wants to make sure that from Indianapolis to Chicago, furniture shoppers at our stores know that protecting their homes can come in many shapes and sizes. As this frigid Midwestern winter finally begins its transformation into a warmer – and wetter! – spring, you might be surprised to learn that one of the most important things you can do to keep your family safe is…that dreaded spring cleaning.
There’s no getting around it: April brings showers. And in the Midwest, “showers” can mean violent thunderstorms with accompanying powerful winds and dangerous lightning shows, not to mention torrents of potentially harmful rainwater. So performing a little preventive maintenance could go a long way in not only keeping your home in top shape this spring, but also protecting everyone who lives there from the risks of structural or water damage. Use our quick and handy checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything important!
- Clean out your gutters: foliage buildup can trap moisture, leaving your house vulnerable to mildew that causes major damage to roof or walls.
- Get your roof a check-up: your roof is your greatest shield against the elements, so it’s a good idea to hire a professional to inspect for precipitation-induced wear and tear.
- Re-paint the shell: exposed wood starts to rot, so check for chipped or cracked paint along the outer walls of your house.
- Trim the hedges: cut any overgrown trees to prevent serious damage to your house during a gusty storm, and trim any vines that are growing wild since they could crack your siding.
- Investigate windows and doors: check all openings for leaks or drafts, especially near the corners, since anything amiss could signal harmful water intrusion.
With 20 furniture stores in Chicago-area communities and throughout the Indianapolis region, The RoomPlace serves shoppers from all over Illinois and Indiana with a variety of affordable home furnishings. Stop by The RoomPlace location nearest you to shop for a new leather sofa, dining room table, or queen mattress. Our friendly and knowledgeable sales staff is ready to help you save on furniture however we can!